Things to Keep in Mind When Buying a Transport Wheelchair
Transport wheelchairs are more lightweight than regular wheelchairs. The wheels are smaller too and it’s easy to maneuver and transport in vehicles because of its lightness and durability.
Are you thinking about buying a transport wheelchair? Make sure you keep the following things in mind before buying a transport wheel chair.
- Why do you need the wheelchair? Is it for a child or an adult? How often would you make use of the wheelchair?
- Answering the above questions would help you decide the best transport wheelchair for your particular needs. When you go shopping for one, make sure you mention all these points to the sales person so they can help you make the correct choice.
The weight of the transport wheelchair
One of the first things you should be on the lookout for is the actual weight of the transport wheelchair or how lightweight it actually is. The more lightweight the chair, the easier it would e to maneuver. Some of these chairs can be as less as twenty pounds.
The size of the seat is another factor which needs to be taken into account. You can choose from the following sizes
- Transport wheelchairs with seat size 17 inches. These are ideal for people who weigh less than sixty Kilograms.
- Transport wheelchairs with seat size 19 inches. These are ideal for people who weigh anywhere from 60kg to 100kg.
- Transport wheelchairs with seat size 21 inches. Perfect for individuals who weight more than three hundred pounds.
Transport wheelchairs are generally foldable. The major reason why people choose transport wheelchairs is because it helps make mobility easier for differently-abled individuals. Whether it’s a trip to the doctor or a stroll in the park, a transport wheelchair makes it easier to move from one place to another.
Other things to keep in mind
Transport wheelchairs though comfy for the time being, aren’t exactly the best things to sit on for more than an hour or so. In case a person has to use these for more than an hour, it is advisable to make use of small cushions to offer maximum back support.
Transport wheelchairs are assembled from the time of production. All that you need to do is order the one which you prefer and simply use it at your leisure. The leg rests on the transport wheelchair are easily removable and can be hooked on again when required.
The locks on the wheelchairs can either be located on the rear or in the front like the wheels of a bicycle. Some wheelchairs are equipped with arm rests as well, again make sure you choose a model which has removable arm rests which allow you to easily transport the wheelchair in a vehicle.
All wheelchairs are equipped with a safety belt which needs to be used every time. For those who require additional support there are some special features as well. For more information on where to purchase the best medical transport chair on the market make sure you contact a specialist in the industry.